Blockstream has released an upgrade to its C-Lightning bitcoin scaling software, which works with the Lightning Network. With this, the company is bringing its cryptographic number one off-chain solution a step further.
Blockstream comes up with C-Lightning, an implementation of the Bitcoin Lightning Network. In a blog post, the company announced on March 1 that it would be ready to release version 0.7 of its blockchain solution. According to Blockstream, the development team has been working for eight months, ie since the release of the previous version 0.6. Since then, according to the company has changed a lot. Here are the new features at a glance:
- Plugins: The use of plugins should give developers the opportunity to extend the Lightning Network with their own applications in any programming language. With this, Blockstream wants to become the “most flexible, expandable and adaptable” implementation of the Lightning Network.
- Routeboost: With Routeboost it should be possible to send payments via non-public payment channels, which should ultimately protect the privacy of the participants.
- improved management of stored coins
- The option_data_loss_project function is now implemented by default. It protects the data of users.
- Reproducible Builds: This feature protects users from unwanted software changes, among other things.
- Better Records: Blockstream improves the documentation of all operations with the latest upgrade. The data are publicly accessible at https://lightning.readthedocs.io.
Future plans: Improve privacy
For the future, Blockstream plans to expand the privacy options of its network. So one works at present on an on-line routing package, with which it should be possible in the future to be able to transport more information between network nodes. The developers hope for spontaneous and fast payments, in which both sender and receiver can remain hidden.
More about Blockstream
In the recent past, Blockstream made headlines by allowing Bitcoin to travel around space in space. Again, the Bitcoin Lightning Network was used. In addition, the company has been working with Liquid since last year on a solution to the scaling issue that prevents Bitcoin for some time at higher speeds.